[om-list] other links

Thomas L. Packer at home ThomasAndMegan at Middle.Net
Sat Sep 14 09:22:00 EDT 2002

Om People

    Response to old letter:

    Facets ... yes.  This is a very good idea.  I love facets.  I didn't
know that that was what they were called.  I made up the term "complex
hierarchy" to describe what I think is the same structure.

    I was just starting to experiment with a very crude "facet" organisation
structure when school started.  I wanted to put my URL list (on my ontolog
web page) into a better format for viewing.  My first inclination was to
make two pains, one with a tree view (where a folder or leaf-node could be
placed into more than one branch of the tree), and the other with a flat
view of all leaves under the current tree node, sorted by their relevance to
the given tree node.  But that tree view was beyond my web-page coding
abilities.

    So then I went with a simpler idea: When the user clicks on a term in
the left pane (the "tree" pane), instead of opening up a tree-graph it would
simply redraw the whole pane using a list which represented all the fuzzy
sub-nodes of the node clicked on.  I was going to use XML, XSL, and a tiny
bit of PHP.  I was so close.  If I can do two things: (1) get a few hours to
work on it, and (2) persuade Mark to install Sablotron, I think I can show
you guys what I'm talking about.

tomp

Víðar sum quem nihil obstat.
www.Ontolog.Com