[om-list] Re: The Rise of Worse is Better

Thomas L. Packer at home ThomasAndMegan at Middle.Net
Mon Dec 16 10:31:42 EST 2002

Mark and Luke

    This is good stuff.  I'm glad we still have our OM group.  I think
something will come of it some day.

    I think I promised to tell you guys more about Soar when I learned more
myself.  I still don't know too much about it, but I'm pretty happy with
what I do know.  It seems like a very good alternative to trying to develop
my MTShell ideas from scratch.  In fact, it's rather similar to MTShell in
some ways: Tcl scripting glue connecting C modules together in a fairly
sophisticated and yet general-purpose AI architecture.  -- and it's a
framework that several organisations are adopting.  It's open source.

    For a video introduction to Soar, follow this link (and try to use
QuickTime to view it, since I could not get RealPlayer to play it):

    http://ritter.ist.psu.edu/papers/soar-mov.mpg

    Below are some other links and one accomplishment.

tomp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"SOAR" = State, Operator, And Result.

"Perhaps the largest success for Soar has been flying simulated aircraft in
a hostile environment. Jones et al. (Jones, Laird, Nielsen, Coulter, Kenny,
& Koss, 1999) report how Soar flew all of the US aircraft in the 48 hour
STOW'97 exercise. The simulated pilots talked with each other and ground
control, and carried out 95% of the missions successfully. "  (From
http://acs.ist.psu.edu/soar-faq/soar-faq7-01.html#G2.)

NL-Soar Pages:
-------------------

NL-Soar Home Page:

http://humanities.byu.edu/nlsoar/
http://humanities.byu.edu/nlsoar/homepage.html

NL-Soar FAQ:

http://humanities.byu.edu/nlsoar/nls2002faq.html

NL-Soar Tutorials

http://humanities.byu.edu/nlsoar/nls2002tutorials.html

Installing NL-Soar:

http://humanities.byu.edu/nlsoar/installhowto.html

NL-Soar Glossary:

http://humanities.byu.edu/nlsoar/nls2002glossary.html

Old CMU Description of NL-Soar:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/soar/utc/nl/doc/nl-homepage.h
tml

Soar Pages:
--------------

Soar FAQ:
http://ritter.ist.psu.edu/soar-faq/

Introduction to a collection of published papers spanning the first decade
of Soar research and use.
http://www.isi.edu/soar/papers/soar-papers-book/soar-papers.html

General Soar Home Page.
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/soar/

General Soar Documentation.
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/soar/docs.html

Soar Architecture Descriptions:
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/cogarch0/soar/index.html

Soar Group at University of Southern California:
http://www.isi.edu/soar/soar-homepage.html

Soar Group at University of Michigan:
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/soar/soar-group.html

Soar Group at Carnegie Mellon University:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/soar/public/www/home-page.html

The appendum to a Soar FAQ.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pub/soar/nottingham/soar-lfaq.html

A comparison between Soar and Act-R, concentrating on their theories of
control.
http://www.sahs.uth.tmc.edu.edu/TRJohnson/papers/CogSci97-Control-in-Act-R-a
nd-Soar.html

Act-R Pages:
---------------

http://act-r.psy.cmu.edu/
Act-R home page.

http://act-r.psy.cmu.edu/tutorials/
Act-R home page Tutorials including "Integrated Theory of the Mind".

Other Related Links:
---------------------

Wordnet:
http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/