[om-list] On the Analytical Semantics of Natural Languages

Luke Call lacall at onemodel.org
Fri Oct 10 07:33:42 EDT 2003

I don't understand all of this at the moment but I'd like it if OM could
do #'s 1 & 2 for you--because it could represent any noun as an entity
with behavior and properties, and other parts of speech as the behavior
and/or properties. OM would let us map any word to those entities,
behavior, or properties, so it's not tied to a single language (unlike
what I understand Cyc etc to do).

I don't know when or if this will all work, but I'm working on it, slowly.

Human language is so darned inconsistent. A self-consistent interlinked
object model that lets you define taxonomies on the fly that represent
your understanding, seems useful. Such activity wouldn't be for the
purpose of a taxonomy for its own sake, but just a side-effect of
recording your knowledge in OM like you'd record words in a word-processor.

BTW I'm studying the language scheme again. I looked hard at Python as a
scripting & testing language, & as a way to write code w/ less typing
(at least for tests) and really liked it, but Scheme is so powerful in
its ability to represent and manipulate ideas that I may go that
direction; we'll see.

All this is such a learning experience.

Luke