[om-list] Sense and Certainty

Mark Butler butlerm at middle.net
Sat Oct 11 13:20:52 EDT 2003

Sense and Certainty

There is an ambiguity problem using a single scalar sense measure to
combine the notions of affirmation/denial and certainty.  It is common
for people to be emphatically neutral about a position.  Emphatic
neutrality really should be distinguished from ignorant neutrality.  The
rigorous way to do this is to use a probability distribution function of
fractional set containment, but people arguably do not track simple
statements to that level of detail.  I suggest that we can easily fix
this problem without running into adverse computational complexity by
splitting sense into two separate scalar measures, sense and certainty.

The sense of a proposition ranges from affirmation [positive] to denial
[negative].   This corresponds closely to the idea of fractional set
membership, and the more general idea of fractional set containment.
Certainty on the other hand, expresses the degree of belief that the
sense is accurate, ranging from no confidence to absolutely certain.

Certainty can be expressed in either linear [0,1] or logarithmic
[-inf,+inf] form.  If the latter is multiplied by a [-1,+1] linear sense
measure, you get a [-inf,+inf] sense measure like I described yesterday,
which is useful in evidence calculations on boolean propositions.

However, you can also easily generate a family of probability
distribution functions from a [sense,certainty] pair for use in more
sophisticated calculations where the exact degree of set membership or
containment is critical.  Any certain statement has a pdf in the form or
an impulse or Dirac delta function - infinitely high, infinitely narrow,
area one, centered around the sense value. Zero certainty leads to a
flat pdf no matter what the sense is - literally the sense doesn't
matter.  Sense values in between can be represented by any nice function
that peaks at the sense value and has area one over [-1,+1] and that has
a width inversely proportional to the certainty.  Finding good
candidates is a topic for further research - my first instinct would be
to use normalized Bezier polynomials.

However, for most applications, simpler expedients are sufficient.
Weighted combinations of evidence from multiple sources is probably the
most common operation that deals with both sense and certainty.

 - Mark