OM and Tom's projects' future (was Re: [om-list] OM version 0.02)

Thomas L. Packer in BYU CS DEG ThomasAndMegan at Middle.Net
Thu Feb 26 10:10:13 EST 2004

Hello Luke

        The authors do not seem to want to spend any time at all on the
"philosophical issues", such as strong vs. weak AI, etc.  And I don't think
it talks about AI in literature.  But I think it covers everything else and
then some.  It is practical, not philosophical, which is something I need
right now.

    It takes the perspective that AI consists of a collection of tools for
doing some pretty neat things on a computer, things that probably cannot be
done without AI, and then it explains all of these things, one after the
other, in a very pedagogically-reasonable way, and in such a way that you
will be prepared to implement any of the methods discussed after you find a
little more detail on which ever part you are interested in implementing.

    I.e., it is just a good first book on AI for those who want to
understand the implementations of many topics in AI on a superficial level,
enough so that he can then buy a second book in order to implement the
particular techniques he finds most appealing.

    Thanks for reminding me what OM was.  :-)  I get a little carried away
sometimes.  I think OM is a good idea still: a better way to organize the
information we have.

tomp