[om-list] Column Count in Code

burundanga at gmx.com burundanga at gmx.com
Tue Apr 26 12:54:37 EDT 2016

160 characters isn't a deal-breaker for me. 80 is the most common standard, according to stats I've seen, but larger numbers are also used (and even 72, as the old geezer noted). I also like small widths because I sometimes edit code in portrait on a 7" tablet, and on my laptops I'll sometimes open another tmux pane to the side of vim for viewing other code or looking up related information with elinks. These specific use cases are unimportant, I think the most compelling argument for 80 is the prevalence of the standard. I wasn't sure if 160 was even intended, or if it was just near the point where your editor normally wrapped lines and this was causing you to break. Since I was thinking about changing the indentation of wrapped lines, I wanted to get your opinion of that first. Again, totally not a deal breaker.

I also see what you're saying about the indentation of wrapping lines being determined contextually based on the line above, and I'm fine conforming to that. I just didn't realize that was going on, and wanted to change what I misunderstood to be an inconsistency.