[om-list] Fwd: Re: features (was Re: What I feel from your writings

Luke A. Call luke350 at onemodel.org
Wed May 19 10:43:42 EDT 2021

[#6 of 7]

----- Forwarded message from "Luke A. Call" <luke350 at onemodel.org> -----

Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 10:24:13 -0600
From: "Luke A. Call" <luke350 at onemodel.org>
To: Jean Louis <bugs at gnu.support>
Subject: Re: features  (was Re: [om-list] What I feel from your writings

On 2021-05-18 18:16:39+0300, Jean Louis <bugs at gnu.support> wrote:
> * Luke A. Call <luke350 at onemodel.org> [2021-05-18 17:44]:
> > On 2021-05-18 00:13:21+0300, Jean Louis <bugs at gnu.support> wrote:
> > > My desire is to understand various principles and paradigms on
> > > creating dynamic knowledge repository as described by Doug Engelbart.
> > >
> > > - is it possible to store a file?
> > yes
>
> Maybe you mean storing as a text, that is quite clear, it should
> work. I was meaning storing as a reference to file on file system.

Yes, but I'm not sure if in the way you want.  Maybe you would consider
the answer to be no.

But it also stores files and their md5sums in the database (awkwardly).

> > > - develop a function to open a file by user?
> > not yet
>
> Recently I realized there can be many various types of notes. For
> example, maybe somebody wish to collect type "Quotes". As such can be
> nicely formatted into HTML pages or emails later because the structure
> is is clear, there is author, there may be reference to the quote, and
> the quote itself. There is nothing much to do with it.
>
> But what if the file is for example EPUB, then maybe the type itself
> in the database can supply the function how to be opened. That means
> the function could be in the database, as that is what I am using
> now. This helps when user wish to create new types without changing
> the program, user simply supplies the function into the database that
> is then supposed to handle that type.

Please don't ask more questions until you can demonstrate you have gone
thru the tutorial very carefully.  And start reading the screen more
carefully.  Like, about TextAttribute types, classes, etc.

> > > - index titles, descriptions, locations of objects?
> > not sure what you mean
>
> I was asking in the context of the dynamic knowledge repository, as
> some objects may be have different locations. A note may have a title,
> and its description, including its report. As note could be solved, or
> closed, completed, it may need a report.

OM can do full-text search and/or navigation by relations created in the
system.  Those creations can become habitual and efficient, so in a few
keystrokes you can find what you need.  In case that relates.  Anything
can link to anything, conveniently.  So I can find what I want in a few
keystrokes, in my system, where I have things organized.  A single
entity can be found by many paths.

----- End forwarded message -----