Will Holder will operate the Whitney Museum elevator tomorrow, Saturday 15 March 2008 from 11 am to 6 pm

open-reading-group at o-r-g.com open-reading-group at o-r-g.com
Fri Mar 14 18:26:52 EDT 2008

For Gropius and his goal of an integrated architectonic vision, the
predominance of the Expressionist element in the Bauhaus faculty was a
negative factor, and in 1923 he decided to draw stronger Constructivist
forces into the orbit of the school. Paul Citroen, a student of that time,
described the divided feelings:

"None of us who had suggested Moholy, liked his Constructivism. This
'Russian' trend, created outside the Bauhaus, with its exact simulatively
technical forms was disgusting to us who were devoted to the extremes of
German Expressionism. But since constructivism was the newest of the new,
it was -- so we figured -- the cleverest move to overcome our aversion
and, by supporting Gropius' choice of one of its creators, incorporate
this 'newest' into the Bauhaus system. We were conscious of the danger of
drawing into the inner circle the representative of an art form we
basically negated. But it was only an experiment, something easily to be
undone since Moholy was very young, and most probably inexperienced. So
Moholy came to Weimar as 'the champion of youth,' as we labeled him in
contrast to the 'old' faculty members Kandinsky, Feininger, and Klee, who
were between forty and fifty-five."

--

AS PART OF DEXTER SINISTER TRUE MIRROR FOR THE 2008 WHITNEY BIENNIAL, WILL
HOLDER WILL BE RELEASING AND RECITING A TEXT WHILE OPERATING THE MUSEUM

PLEASE ALSO REFER TO THE IMMEDIATE RELEASE HERE:
http://www.sinisterdexter.org/index.html?id=21