Two links in advance of The Serving Library

open-reading-group at o-r-g.com open-reading-group at o-r-g.com
Mon Feb 21 18:16:19 EST 2011

Fellow readers,

This spring, Dexter Sinister is busy morphing from a "just-in-time
workshop and occasional bookstore" into an non-profit institution-of-sorts
called The Serving Library. This involves incorporating (The Serving
Library Company, Inc.), describing (A Statement of Intent) and fundraising
(here):

http://www.unitedstatesartists.org/project/the_serving_library

The idea is to build on the haphazard, contingent clutter of activities
assembled during the five-year lease of our basement space on Ludlow
Street in New York (which expires just before the summer) towards a more
explicit, coherent set of intentions that can be condensed into the
following equation:

"The Serving Library is a cooperatively-built archive that assembles
itself by publishing. It will consist of 1. an ambitious public website;
2. a small physical library space; 3. a publishing program which runs
through #1 and #2."

The longer story involves two collections of books and artifacts, an
online and printed successor to Dot Dot Dot called Bulletins of The
Serving Library, a speculative Foundation Course modeled on the Photoshop
Toolbox, a rotating Guest Librarianship, and a 12-year Black Whisky.
Further elaboration is offered in A Statement of Intent, available from
our existing library:

http://www.dextersinister.org/library.html?id=262

"I don't complain about institutions! I complain about institutions that I
don't like." (Michelangelo Pistoletto)

Please circulate this announcement freely.

Regards,
David Reinfurt, Stuart Bailey, Angie Keefer