Dexter Sinister: The Serving Library and "Identity"

open-reading-group at o-r-g.com open-reading-group at o-r-g.com
Wed Oct 26 18:16:10 EDT 2011

Join us at Artists Space on Saturday, October 29 from 6-8 pm for two
"projections":

a 1:1 scale model of our nascent Serving Library project

and

a 3-screen audiovisual essay concerned with "Identity"

The Serving Library consists of: 1) an ambitious public website; 2) a
small physical library space; and 3) a publishing program which runs
through #1 and #2. At Artists Space, we have projected the library's
interior, conceived less as an active reading room, more as a mini-expo
that portrays how the institution will eventually appear and suggests how
it might function.

Initiated by Stefan Kalmar and Richard Birkett of Artists Space,
"Identity" is a looping, 20-minute projection. Part informational film,
part minimalist cartoon, it charts the emergence and expansion of graphic
identity since the turn of the twentieth century, with particular
reference to contemporary art institutions -- museums, galleries, and
so-called alternative spaces.

Thereafter, both parts run from October 30 - December 18, 2011

Artists Space
38 Greene Street
3rd Floor
New York