I'll be your interface.*

open-reading-group at o-r-g.com open-reading-group at o-r-g.com
Thu Mar 12 12:36:42 EDT 2015

Please come to

101 Spring Street / Judd Foundation
New York
http://juddfoundation.org/visit_ny

Thursday, March 26
5:30 - 7:00 pm

for a talk by Dexter Sinister with Roxana Fabius in advance of the
exhibition I'll be your interface.* at the Center for Curatorial Studies,
Bard College, March 29 - May 3.

The exhibition mixes work by Dexter Sinister with objects from the
Marieluise Hessel Collection at Bard College. These pieces have a
complicated relation with function -- some are meant to be used, others
not, and many fall somewhere in between. One is a chair by Donald Judd
which can be shown but not sat on. Judd wrote about this in "It's hard to
find a good lamp" (1993):

"In the middle eighties I wrote that in the middle sixties someone asked
me to design a coffee table. I thought that a work of mine, which was
essentially a rectangular volume with the upper surface recessed could be
altered. This debased the work and produced a bad table, which I later
threw away. The configuration and the scale of art is different from that
of the latter, which must be functional, it appears to only be art, it is
ridiculous. The art of a chair is not its resemblance to art, but is
partly its reasonableness, usefulness and scale as a chair."

Roxana Fabius and Dexter Sinister will discuss some recent work that
doesn't make such a crisp distinction, but exists between an artwork and
its user. I'll be your interface.* is curated by Roxana Fabius, 2015 M.A.
candidate at CCS Bard.

Brief tours of the second floor of 101 Spring Street / Judd Foundation,
New York, Donald Judd's home and studio, will be available preceding and
following the conversation. RSVP is essential as space is limited to 40.
Please email illbeyourinterface at gmail.com to reserve.