[Slowhand] RE: DC Show

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Tue Jun 22 09:21:03 EDT 2004

>> If you are interested in in going for the music rather than being seen,
talking election politics on cell phones, making beer runs, and incessantly
talking about clothes and shopping throughout the concert--take a pass on
future DC shows and go to Madison Square Garden where people know and
respect the artist, the music and the other concert goers because the DC
crowd does not. <<

Hmmm. You probably sat in the yuppie section. My take was different. I saw
absolutely none of the above.

Generally, I think NY is a "hotter" venue and the people there are more
passionate, but I also believe that concerts have changed over time, and
this probably accounts for much of the difference. I grew up in NY and saw
EC there back in the '60s and 1970 with Cream, Blind Faith, Delaney &
Bonnie, and Derek & The Dominos. I think the character of concerts, in
general, changed most during the 1970s. People became unruly, disrespectful,
and didn't seem to care if they blocked the view or interfered with the
enjoyment of others. Lotta screamin' too. Then there's that cigarette
lighter thing, and the '70s seemed to have more stoned and drunk individuals
as well.

Of course, the signature music of the '70s was disco. And let's not forget,
disco took NY by storm. Remember "Saturday Night Fever"? It took place in
NY. If the '70s were your favorite that's your choice, but they're gone.

During the second half of last night's show in DC, the crowd was mostly on
its feet. There were a few jerks more interested in the beer than Clapton,
but I believe that happens in NY too. They didn't really interfere with my
enjoyment of the show. I saw a few people on their cell phones, but only
between acts. Most were respectful and had a good time.

EC had a pretty decent night and played much more guitar than on the past
two tours (1998 & 2001), but the JBL sound system was horrible. The bass
frequencies were overly "boomy," and echoed throughout the arena in such a
way that the other instruments were not easily heard. Sound quality definite
ly was superior in '98 and '01, but Clapton and the band were a lot better
this time. However, the show went on for a little bit less than the usual 2
hours.

Overall, it was definitely a more enjoyable concert than the "Pilgrim" and
"Reptile" tours, largely because Clapton played his guitar and the band was
inspired. I just wish that the sound system wasn't inferior.

                DeltaNick