[Slowhand] Detroit Review Pt. 2

mark at inna.net mark at inna.net
Wed Jul 14 12:05:57 EDT 2004

*continued*

"Have You Ever Loved a Woman". I gotta admit, after some of the phoned in performances of this song over the past decade or so, I was over it and ready for another slow blues - ANY slow blues. But the performances of it this tour have been so mindbending it's hard to believe it's the same song. Interestingly, where the past couple shows EC has dug in hard to the opening solo, this time he opted for a laid back, quiet approach, and then again for his main solo, he started very quietly, so I was thinking perhaps he'd really take a backseat to the others on this one.  Woah ... and then the hand came up, the hand went down, he went for the switch and he went where EC rarely goes ... to the treble pickup, and cut into a snarling run that got everyone's attention and left the band smiling.

"Badge" was powerful, and Sharon and Michelle's vocals really were great on this.  EC's solo break was great but Billy Preston seemed to feel great and really laid into the second part and got a huge roar of applause from the crowd along with big grins from the band.

"Layla" and "Cocaine" - the crowd really surged on these, powerful readings from all.  Gadd seems to have given up on the light touch jazz drumming and was simply pounding the hell out of the skins. Doyle's closing solos on Cocaine were a highlight, as he bent down to his pedalboard, turned an effect up, and then turned facing his amps coaxing some feedback which left EC grinning.

"Sunshine" was of course the encore (Would "White Room" be too much to ask? Really? Just every once in a while? It ain't like we're asking for SWLABR or Politician!), man Nathan really belted out the vocals on this one, I've never heard him in better form. Someone in front had thrown roses at Nathan, and in fact hit him while playing (hope they were thornless!) so he stuck a rose in the tuners of his bass like EC used to do with his Rothman's, hope someone got a nice picture of that.

It was funny watching Robert Randolph beside the stage waiting to go on, he was fired up and ready to go, moving from foot to foot and then bounding up the stage. Nice work at the end and then into "Mojo Working" which this crowd seemed to enjoy more than some other crowds have ... folks walking in the parking lot after the show were humming or singing it.

Had the pleasure of meeting some SD friends after the show which was great.  And now off to Indy! See you there...

Cheers,
Mark