[Slowhand] The Palace Rocks, too!! Re:Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks!

Von Diesel ydiesel at verizon.net
Wed Jul 14 13:40:10 EDT 2004

What can I say that's not already been said?  GO SEE THIS SHOW!!  I went in 2001
to MSG on my birthday - my first EC show and it was soooooooooooo incredible.
So it was nice to have something to compare in Detroit last night.

I first noticed he's lost at least 20 lbs. I think.  He looks great!  I do
believe having a young wife a few young children have shaved some years off of
him as well.  Not so much in how he looks, but my God! can he put on a show.   I
picked up a few things Shannon said in the email she (he?) sent before we went.

I didn't care for Doyle as an opener in 2001, but I think he's a great addition
to the band. I have to agree with the "challenge" Eric seems to offer Doyle.
And Doyle responds, ever-so-fittingly.  I also agree with Shannon's take on the
girls.  They're ok, but sometimes a bit much, imho.

Shannon had this to say in the email:  "I have never had the opportunity to sit
close enough to witness the actual relationship Eric has with his guitar as he
plays, and he doesn't exhibit it throughout his concert. But in the acoustic
set, while Doyle would take a solo or something, Eric would lean over his own
instrument and concentrate and seem to be letting it read his thoughts, and vice
versa. That's a little goofy, and I don't really know how to explain it, but I'm
sure many of you get what I'm trying to say, anyhow."

I laughed at that - after seeing him in 2001, I told my husband "it's like he's
channeling through his guitar or something.....I can't explain it but it's so
cool!" - so I knew exactly what you were talking about Shannon :-)  When he's
playing (or is the guitar playing him?) I stare in such awe.  Truly a
remarkable, and beautiful thing to witness.  For me, there is not another
experience on earth to compare it to.  I joked last night "how long CAN one have
goose bumps before it's a bad thing???"

He channels those blues so damn good - I swear he's reincarnated for the time or
something.  We didn't have the best seats - club level - but we could hear and
with my 8x binoculars it was like being on the floor maybe 10 rows back.  He's
incredible.  He can do no wrong when he picks up a guitar as far as I'm
concerned.  I'm quite jealous of Mark following those concerts :-)  but happy
he's sharing them with us as well.

I should also give credit to his incredible band.  It's not all EC.  They are
quite awe-inspiring each and every one in their own right.  But I love a good
guitar, and we all know who's best :-)

It's funny, but the whole ride home (3 hrs.) I was wondering how to report the
fantasy.  One thing - if you're looking for a concert souvenir, they are much
cheaper at www.ericclapton.com.  I wanted a long sleeved T, and it's $37.50
online, but it was $60 last night.  I can wait.  Even with shipping it can't be
that much.

GO GO GO, and know that at least one person (me!) will be envious that I'm not
with each and every one of you at each and every concert.  He's awesome³.  I've
said for years that my idea of heaven when I die is having EC playing guitar.
Maybe his idea of heaven is playing guitar?  Well that would work out nicely
then :-)

Oh, and a word about Robert Randolph: "EFFIN-A"!!!!!  I enjoyed his set
immensely!!!!!!!!!  The whole group was very, very good.  He really kicked
things up a notch!!!  EC made a very good choice in this opener, so don't miss
it, like half of the Palace did.  (lol.....the "Palace".....fancy name for an
arena <s>)

Von - the EC fan