[Slowhand] clapton's talents

Apurva Parikh apuraja8 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 10:49:36 EDT 2004

...been following this discussion, enjoying some of the guitarists cited and
those left out.. To the person who said black guitarists weren't noted by
Deltanick or others - it's been pretty clear that mentioning Hendrix's name
on this list in any kind of inspirational tone is sorta like heresy to some.

One cannot discuss Clapton's work, talents or his role as a influence on the
guitar world without mentioning Hendrix. Sure Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Jeff
Beck, Jimmy Page were contemporaries and influential guitarists in their own
right, but it was Hendrix and Freddie King who played the biggest role in
Clapton's evolution from blues guitar hero to rock guitar god.

As for Mr. Clapton's talents and the discussion about what he'd be doing if
he wasn't a great guitarist first, I think he'd be very good as a painter or
fisherman or even some sort of businessman. It's an interesting point to
speculate on how his musical career would have been different had he started
out singing more and playing less attention to guitar playing. He probably
would have joined a bigger band, dare I say, perhaps the Stones or another
big rock band, where his vocal talents and sideman skills would be
beneficial. Having said this, I am glad things happened the way they did..