[Slowhand] Re: 'Nuff

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 23:45:06 EDT 2004

was a little devil sitting on my shoulder whilst I wrote that.

Thankfully he left me alone for just a few minutes!

Thanks also to Sol for warning me of your un-matched prowess; if it comes toit I might need him for my Second.

Sorry, I got dibs!

Instead of us fighting, how about we appoint musical champions; of course wewill then be fighting over who gets EC as their champion.

I'll take Robert Randolph ... if EC were judging his own performance, I think he'd judge RR the winner!

Regarding the serious issues:[1] BroadbandI didn't realise that US broadband uptake/availability was that poor, theupside is that its got to get better in a little while.

Don't know what it is for most folks - fine I am sure.  It won't "Get Better For a Little While" for me as I am 14,550 feet (funny how I know this) from the telephone switch.  Even if DSL were available ... it's out of range.

[2] Dwindling BandwidthIt would appear that we have passed the zenith of public broadcast fidelity,(that's the peak DN and we're not talking stewardtits here). As if to rubsalt into the wounds, a freak storm broke my antenna mast on Tuesday and thecasualty was the large FM array, so no more quality audio!

I will be curious to know what the future brings.  DirecTV (US DigiSat provider) is already running out of available bandwidth on the current birds, thus the recent loss of quality on many channels.  They are now beginning to cannibalize bandwidth allocated for future growth of Satellite Internet, paging, etc. for additional TV transponders.  I think you will see the same if satellite radio takes off as the major competitors try to add more and more programming options to draw in a larger subscriber base. Potential upside? Maybe there will be the "Slowhand" channel, all Eric, all the time. I'll offer to broadcast from my house if they'll set up a transmitter ...

[3] CopyingThere are always those that will burn indelicately and are unlikely to reada FAQ, but the bit torrent distribution encourages the best copies to becirculated, both closest to the master recording and in the quality of thetransfer/rip. Near instantaneous feedback ensures that bum seeds get fixed.

The beauty of SHN/FLAC is that the additional step does weed out probably 95% of potential problem people.

[4] Region Specific OffersLeo, I wasn't having a pop at you; if you remember you told me your storysome six months ago. You had an unpleasant experience that none of us wouldwish; it would appear that the Belgian customs are particularly anal.

Luxemborg is the all time worst.  I sold a guitar to a friend several years ago - I got a good deal and passed on the savings to him.  The Customs Nazis tried to force him to pay duties on the RETAIL cost ($8000 versus the $2900 he paid me).  I would imagine if those same customs folks found CD-Rs, they would have the offender shot just on general principle!

JohnPS: My spelling checker baulked on "stewardtits". How did it fare on yoursDN?You need a bigger spell checker, Nick has big Stewardtits - he eats lots of Swamp Meat.

Cheers,

The Almighty

(Now for those of you who patiently slogged all the way through this drek ... you will be rewarded.  The first four respondants to this offer will receive not a lovely set of ginsu knives but instead a complementary copy of the Washington, D.C. show from June 21, 2004. The fifth will go to Bob Enfield just on general principle for being one of the few honest people in the world and coming clean in a big way.  No re-distribution is required but will be appreciated if recipients can do so in a non-Lulu manner.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled bickering.)

http://mail.yahoo.com