[Slowhand] Trading standards...

Bill Gadzia bgadzia at qwest.net
Sat Aug 21 13:36:22 EDT 2004

Hey Everybody!

There has been a lot of discussion about setting up trading standards
for CDRs here on SD (forgive me if I missed much, I'm a newbie here, I
just joined within the last week or so).  Much discussion has been
given to using EAC to rip disks, including this from Leo:

> ... I know it is technical, but it is as simple as it can be : use EAC
> or Feurio (with correct settings) and
> don't use anything else to rip discs to spread within the
> trading-community...

I'd like to suggest that one of the problems comes from sending music
disks which have to be re-ripped.  How about if only ONE person rips
the disk, tests the files to make sure everything worked out okay
(maybe even have a sub group act as "listeners" to make double sure
there's no "glitches introduced" in the ripping process), makes
losslessly compressed files (shn, flac and ape file formats are
commonly used elsewhere) and distributes these to people who have CDR
burners.  Those people can then copy the compressed files to their HD,
unpack them, burn a copy as a music CDR (always using DAO to avoid
introducing gaps between tracks) for their own use (as well as copies
for any people they're helping who do not have a CDR burner), and then
file copy the original losslessly compressed files to a data CDR to
pass along to other traders with CDR burners.

The advantage of trading already ripped and tested losslessly
compressed files  is that there is no "generational" problems
introduced with ripping every step of the way.  Many problems with CDRs
tend to come with the ripping process.  I've read that ripping is 95%
accurate, but this means that 1 in 20 CDRs you rip and burn with have
errors.  Even with EAC, errors will occasionally occur (which is why
the person who does the original ripping has to carefully do a
listening test the resulting copy).

It also means that a person who gets the 20th copy of the losslessly
compressed files can make EXACTLY the same music CDR as the person who
started the process.  When you copy the  losslessly compressed files to
a data CDR, they are computer files and your computer can do error
checking in the copy process.  It doesn't mean errors won't occur, but
it does mean that when it happens, your computer will try to error
correct and if it can't, it will tell you there is a problem.

This process will add a degree of quality control that will never exist
when trades are done by re-ripping music disks you received in trade.
It also means that guys with Macs (there are a few of us out here) can
burn a disk that is just as guaranteed to be good as a one done on a
PC.  It also means you don't have to bust your brains learning how to
use EAC unless you want to start a tree.  If all you have time to do is
burn disks for others and want to do it with the least hassle, this
method makes that possible.  Of course, you should still test any disk
before you send it out, at least the transition from one track to the
next.