[Slowhand] Cream reunion

gipsj at optonline.net gipsj at optonline.net
Tue Nov 16 11:22:47 EST 2004

My two cents:
I am highly anticipating the reunion, however:
1. I do not expect the same fireworks from 60 year olds as I would from 20 year olds so once again, those who hold on to their idealized memories of the band from their heyday will most surely be disappointed.
2, This is not the first go round when no one had ever heard anything like Cream, and since we've all heard them before, there's no way this reunion can be as fresh and exciting as the original thing.
3. I do expect that on a few of the songs the playing may be better and more focused due to the fact that 60 year olds have more highly developed musical technique and knowledge than 20 year olds.
4. Shock or blasphemy (?!), but I do not want to hear Cream play extended jam after jam. I would be very happy with a couple of long tunes (15+ minutes). I want to hear Eric, Jack and Ginger go off on one or two extended improvisations and then give us reasonably tight versions of a bunch of other tunes.
4. I expect, based on the relative states of their lives and musical careers, that Eric will be the leader of the band. That being said, I expect passionate versions of whatever they choose to play because I expect a certain synergy between the three, Eric is in a very good place in life and as the last year has shown, he seems to have plenty of fire in the belly again and a few suprises up his sleeve.
5. I don't give a damn if he plays a Strat, a Les Paul or a stick with a rubber band attached - for me it's all about the big picture which is the reunion and not about the small details like which guitar he plays or what shoes he wears.

I would like to see them play at least some of the following songs (in no particular order) :
1. SWABLR
2. Tales of Brave Ulysses
3. Anyone for Tennis
4. Politician