[Slowhand] Re: deltanick--a shakeup is in order

Susan Marchman susbastille at msn.com
Mon Dec 27 21:49:34 EST 2004

>>I think EC has become too comfortable in nearly everything he does musically. It was certainly nice to see him really play guitar on the last tour, but I think a bigger shake-up -- an earthquake, if you will -- is on order, musically, of course.

>>While its decent music, Clapton is capable of GREAT music ... or at least he used to be....

>>Let's hope that 2005 brings us pleasant and worthwhile change with the WAY-too-comfortable Eric Clapton. I'd like to see him rock, and tear it up. And so would many others (and not just a new haircut or new jewelry, or shoes). I think he's got it in him, he just needs to get it out, and he seems SO unwilling.<<

                DeltaNick

I agree, DeltaNick.  A shakeup of some sort is in order.

The fact alone that EC, in a September article from riverfronttimes.com, would even be considered in the running as one of "The Ten Most Hated Men in Rock (besides Sting)"--as runner-up by one critic with honorable mention by the author, Mike Seely--is emblematic of the fact that change is needed.

In his article, Seely gives McCartney top honors, but adds, "According to San Francisco Chronicle pop-music critic Aidin Vaziri, the runner-up is Eric Clapton, a ranking based almost exclusively on the guitar god's synth-slop collaborations with Babyface. While we may not agree with this ranking, the criteria for what makes a rocker "hated" is more or less spot on: have talent, use it well for a substantial period of time, then intentionally squander it for commercial riches, fame and/or forced mass appeal."

I don't think EC is really hated or that he has intentionally squandered his talent.  But I do think there is discontent on the part of fans and critics brought about by Clapton's all-consuming, ubiquitous comfort zone-- which probably has more to do with his self-admitted propensity for laziness, add insecurity and compulsive perfectionism, (maybe even a dash of new found domesticity) then any of the afore mentioned gains.

Rereading the Seely article has given me a sense of dread; dread of some future AC/MOR mediocrity if a turnaround is not effected.  But as we know, no one is more capable of turnaround than Clapton.  And no one is more capable of greatness.  Like DeltaNick said, "a few knock 'em dead records would do the trick."

In 2005, will we find EC still polishing the glass to temperate levels within his well-worn comfort zone?  Or will he drop the cloth and fire it up to blazing heights.  Hopefully the latter.  And his stepped up, improved over 2001 performance last summer gives me great hope; hope that we will no longer have to debate whether or not he still has the fire, it will be an emphatic, definitive, "YES, he does!"

best,
susan

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issues/2004-09-01/music.html<http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issues/2004-09-01/music.html>