[Slowhand] RAH 23rd May 2006

Michael Sawin msawin at hotmail.com
Tue May 23 19:49:46 EDT 2006

Well.....there you go thinking that Eric has got his track selector stuck
and the set list is now how it will be for the rest of the tour, up pops a
couple of new little numbers at his Tuesday night spot at the RAH. No
ordinary songs, mind, because he wouldn't do that. No, would you believe
'Old Love' and 'Why does love gotta be so sad'. Yep, you heard right. Mind
you, I can't say that these were the definitive versions as 'Old Love'
really hit it's musical peak in the early nineties and 'Why does love...'
hit it's in, well, 1970 (mind you, some of the 1975 versions were
astounding). But to hear these two gems along with 'Got to get better...',
'I Am Yours' and 'Nobody Knows You...' all together in one show warmed the
heart of a cynical old hippy.
There is one other small thing I'd like to point out. In the old days, you
could always judge how a show was going to be like after the version of
'Sheriff' was played. No kidding. Check out virtually ANY show he's played
and if 'Sheriff' is a stormer, the rest of the show will be as well. I'm not
the only one who's noticed this and other EC nuts will confirm their liking
for this song as it sets his stall out, as it were. Now all of you will
start listening to their old bootlegs. Anyways, to confuse matters, his
playing of 'Sheriff' on this tour is well...frankly...average. He never
really gets into the solo and it always ends quite prematurely. But the rest
of the set is vibrant and energetic. Go figure.
Set list for Tuesday 23rd May RAH

PRETENDING
SO TIRED/GOT TO GET BETTER...
OLD LOVE