[Slowhand] Re: D&D LAOALS (Mickboy Remaster)

Luke Pacholski lukpac at lukpac.org
Wed Jun 28 13:40:32 EDT 2006

John, re:

> My point of reference:

> LAOALS:

> 2xCD AAD Stereo RSO/PolyGram version, West German manufacture, no publishing

> date; cat #:823 277-2.

> "West Germany" suggests pre-1990!

> This is a crap version with muddy sound and noticeable tape hiss; I now know

> why I had only played it once since purchasing it.

That "crap version" is simply the sound of the original mix. Any version
of the original mix will sound fairly close to that. When I set up a
comparison with the MFSL, many people couldn't tell the difference, or at
least didn't have a preference.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=79177&page=3&pp=20&highlight=layla

Start at post 44. Post 115 is for Bell Bottom Blues.

Keep in mind the 20th anniversary version is a *remix*.

Has anyone confirmed this Mickboy version is actually the original mix?
The 20th anniversary mix and 5.1/SACD remix both sound quite a bit
different from the original stereo mix.

Luke