[Slowhand] regarding my top 10......

joeyjay at att.net joeyjay at att.net
Wed Nov 1 09:22:19 EST 2006

>>>I don't see how some of these guitarists can be mentioned, but nobody includes Steve Morse >>>in the list. Steve the the guitarist for Deep Purple, The Dixie Dregs, and the Steve Morse >>>Band and Steve is probably one of the nicest, most unassuming, human beings in the music >>business.

Slowhanders,

The spirit of my list was just guitarists that I personally like. There is no suggestion of them being the best. My list would look somewhat different if I tried to rank by who I perceived to be the best. Truthfully, I am not very qualified to rank in that manner....lol

I do like to hear who other people like and understand why they like them. Often times I have overlooked someone's body of work for various reasons.

A perfect example is the Allman Brothers post Brothers and Sisters. For some strange reason, I stopped paying attention to them after that. I'm just now being turned on to songs like Bougainvillea (Betts), Seven Turns, Come On In My Kitchen etc. I don't understand why I turned away from their post Brothers and Sisters work. This guy Warren Haynes is dynamite. I love the way he plays with Derek Trucks. (If only Dickey Betts could get straightened out completely and rejoin the Allman Brothers. Then the Brothers could get back to playing all those great Dickey Betts songs in concert and have three great guitarists !!!)

Anyway, I love to hear who other people admire and I love to be turned on to great songs that haven't crossed my path yet.

Jay

Here are my top 10 favorites and some honorable mentions. I absolutely am not
suggesting they are the best. They are just my personal favorites.

1) Eric Clapton
2) Duane Allman
3) Chet Atkins
4) Dicky Betts
5) Leslie West
6) Stevie Ray Vaughan
7) Carlos Santana
8) Jeff Beck
9) Mark Knopfler
10) Jimi Hendrix

Honorable mentions:

Danny Gatton, Muddy Waters, Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, Albert King, Buddy Guy,
Freddie King, Derek Trucks, George Harrison, Jimmy Thackery, J Geils, Brian
Setzer, Walter Trout, Prince, Albert Lee, Mickey Gee, Rory Gallagher, Toy
Caldwell, John Fogerty, George Thorogood, Mick Taylor, Ritchie Blackmore, Ry
Cooder, Peter Green, Tony Iommmi, Johnny Winter, Billy Gibbons, Joe Walsh, Randy
Bachman, Robbie Robertson, Skunk Baxter, Dave Mason, Steve Hunter, Mike
Bloomfield, Alvin Lee, Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, Jeff Healy, David Gilmour, Jerry
Garcia, Steve Winwood, Warren Haynes

And I love the early pioneers like Roy Buchannon, Eddie Cochran, Paul Burlison
(The Roll and Roll Trio), James Burton (Rickey Nelson), Chris Gallup (Gene
Vincent and the Blue Caps), Scotty Moore (Elvis), Lonnie Mack, Link Wray, Chuck
Berry, Dick Dale etc.

Cheers,
Jay