[Slowhand] Couple of Comments

Jon Maclean Jon.Maclean at lands.nsw.gov.au
Mon Apr 2 01:19:00 EDT 2007

Whilst I don't disagree with anything you have written here, I am just
of the view that you may be expecting too much of the guy. He's 62, he's
performed over 2500 concerts (source: Slowhand Tourography), and has
undoubtedly seen more of life than most of us reading this list. I'm
certainly not saying that gives him an excuse to cruise, but how would
you still manage to develop genuine passion after all that? By the very
nature of performing, certain elements of it must become mechanical to
ensure consistency between shows. And that happens to all of us in life
to some degree. Many of us on the list (and I am surmising here) are
probably middle-aged and coming to terms with the "what have I achieved
in my life" syndrome.
It's not easy maintaining enthusiasm for any long-term job and Eric
cannot be expected to be an exception. I believe Eric tries damn hard to
give the best show he possibly can at each performance. On this past
world tour, 99% of patrons seemed to be happy with what they witnessed.
For the most part Eric still seems to enjoy performing and that
certainly is a blessing to most of us.
Check out the song on Escondido written with John Mayer (Hard To
Thrill). I can certainly relate to it, and obviously Eric does too.

Cheers,
Jon