[Slowhand] The South Bank Show

Simon George simon.george5 at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 3 18:13:01 EST 2007

Was anyone else disappointed with the show last night?
I didn't see much in the way of unseen footage,etc. that was promised, except for a couple of recordings of Layla, Wondeful Tonight, etc. that I hadnt seen in that exact form before, the interview wasn't particularly revealing and half the show was spent revisiting the first South Bank show and saying, "you said X then, what do you think now", and since I paid out to get that show on video as "the man and his music" and could recite it word for word, that for me was a waste of time. I thought the least we'd get is him playing a little bit live for the cameras or some 'behind the scenes' footage, or some 'Clapton at home' footage.
Also if I were Melia I'd be annoyed, although he admitted that he was pleased that she loved him 'warts and all', he seemed to spend more time talking about Patti!
When I think back to last time, it showed Clapton with one of his prized Ferraris an fishing, that amazing footage of him and Buddy Guy playing together and the reunion with Jack Bruce, this time there was nothing new, just him on the sofa.
All in all it was nice to see Clapton on 'mainstream' TV but not much there for us fans.
Simon