[Slowhand] Fwd: John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers Recordings (Nicholas Aleshin)

Nicholas Aleshin deltanick at comcast.net
Mon Jan 26 20:03:36 EST 2009

John,

That stereo explanation, by "Prof. Stoned Mayall" is flat wrong.
First, in the Deluxe Edition, the producer (of the Deluxe Edition),
Mark Powell, mentions that a mono mix was completed on 2 April 1966.
He didn't mention a stereo mix, but then, why mention a "mono" mix,
why not just "the mix."

Next "Beano" was released in the US in two versions on 6 February
1967: mono and stereo. But the stereo wasn't released in the UK until
December 1969, a gap of some 2 years. In fact, most new albums in the
US were released in two versions, until stereo became the standard
around 1970 (by that time, stereo LPs played perfectly on American
mono record players). This reduced record company inventory nearly
50%, resulting in a significant cost reduction.

I am partial to the stereo, simply because you can hear all the
instruments, and hear 'em better. But what's interesting about this
one is that the mixes are actually different. "Parchman Farm" stereo
includes about 2 seconds extra on the intro. There's a guitar part
during the intro to "Double Crossing Time" that doesn't appear on the
stereo. If you listen closely to both, you will hear two distinct
mixes, and not simply the two stereo tracks on one track. Also, volume
levels vary. On "DCT" mono, EC's guitar volume increases during the
start of his solo. It's not EC turning up the volume, but the mix
engineer doing it: post production. However, on the stereo version,
his guitar -- clearly feeding back -- is already at high volume,
exactly the way it was recorded. So, here, the mono version is a bit
manipulated. Just a few of the differences for illustration.

And on the stereo version, the guitar's tone is thicker throughout,
there not being enough "bandwidth" on the mono for its fullness and
all the other instruments. I know what Mayall has said about the mono
version, as he wrote the same to me in private correspondence in 2001.
However, I find the stereo fuller and more "true." I'm not arguing
here, just making my points. Each to his own, as it's a classic album,
and my favorite of all time. I see it occupies a similar position on
your hit parade as well.

Anyway, "Prof. Stoned Mayall" provides an interesting review. We
disagree on some points. Compare his review to mine:

- Stoned - http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1767938/6201776/

- DeltaNick - http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/Fresh/beanoreleases.html

DeltaNick