[Slowhand] while Eric's guitar gently weeps

PETER GASKELL pgaskell at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 23 18:52:35 EST 2009

Dwayne, your YouTube video looks to me like the Concert for Bangladesh, Madison Square Gardens August 1, 1971.
Eric surprised everyone by turning up and playing lead on this song with a hollow-body Gibson Byrdland guitar unrehearsed. He said he made it hard for himself but he looks pretty relaxed about it.
I like the story that when George invited him to the recording of the song on the White Album, Eric had the effect of putting the Beatles on their best behaviour when he walked into the studio. A bit like the respect you'd show the messiah after he appeared at your wedding and turned the water into wine.
Pedr