[Slowhand] EC Banter

Steve slowhand.net at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 07:41:30 EDT 2009

EC was relatively chatty at the Crossroads 2 Festival. At least relative to
his usual amount of banter.

While I am generally happy for EC to just play, I can think of a couple of
examples in which he perhaps should have said more. At the Wantaugh show in
June of 2008, he dedicated "Before You Accuse Me" with a simple "This one's
for Bo." It seemed a little pale compared to Robert Randolph's moment of
silence during "Bo Diddley." I would have liked a little more of an
explanation for the casual fan, like Robbie Robertson did at the Crossroads
2 Festival.

Another example was the San Jose show in March of 2007. It was Derek
Truck's last show. Clapton did recognize Derek by extending his hand in
Derek's direction for a prolonged period of time. Yet no verbal
recognition. Hard core fans certainly recognized what he was communicating,
but I doubt the casual fan did.

Then again, who cares about the casual fan? As long as they hear "Cocaine,"
"Wonderful Tonight" and "Layla," they'll be fine.