[Slowhand] EC RAH & Steve Winwood CD-DVD Comments

Phil Jones pjones at doodlesite.com
Tue May 26 13:25:56 EDT 2009

As people have commented on the lack of RAH reviews, I'll chip in. I saw
Eric at the RAH on 16th May and didn't think much of the gig. At the time,
I thought the set was pretty adventurous, but found my mind wandering quite
a bit of the time. A few good solos, but not a lot to write home about.

I do think special mention needs to be made about a few things. Tim
Carmon - why do we need those twiddly high pitched keyboard solos - frankly
very self indulgent and irritating, taking over from where David Sacious
left off (gimmicky crap). Sheriff - annoying vocals from the girls on this,
I don't know why such an arrangement would even be conceived. Anything For
Your Love - so much more life in the 1992 arrangement.

I agree with most of Michael Sawin's comments, particularly the acoustic
bit. Not Dark Yet got a bit repetitive and didn't seem to go anywhere,
Somewhere Over the Rainbow has it's place, but it's that nice warm 'going
home' song to end on, not something to stick in the middle and bring things
down.

Just as my EC world was being called into question, the EC/Winwood CD/DVD
hits my doormat - what a breath of fresh air. Goes to prove that you don't
need gimmicky keyboards, 2 backing vox's singing in the most inappropriate
places or chundering rhythm guitar, just a nice tight 5 piece band does the
job (3 piece if you're Cream). Lovely stuff & I recommend anyone who hasn't
got it already to fork out for it - really nice stuff. Seems that EC's old
comrades always make him stretch into pleasing territory.

The interviews on the DVD set are a nice surprise too. Hope this combo
makes it to the UK next year to make up for the dismal wasted opportunity
that's been this year's RAH season.