[Slowhand] Ragging, Whining, And Stainton

Nicholas Aleshin deltanick at comcast.net
Sat May 30 23:39:02 EDT 2009

I like the way Clapton has played with Steve Winwood. When he has to
play lead guitar, it forces him to do good work. But it seems to me
that when there are other guitarists, he often gets lazy. I don't pay
$150 per ticket to see Doyle Bramhall or Derek Trucks play guitar; I
pay it to see ERIC CLAPTON play guitar. When he's on, he's the best.
When he's lazy, I feel cheated. He knows that he can do better, that
he can play more and better guitar. And even when Winwood plays
guitar, Clapton doesn't ramp it down. That's good, but he does seem to
ramp it down when Doyle or Derek play alongside. While they are good
guitarists, I want to see and hear Clapton play, not them.

Slowhand Digest subscribers know quite well that I call 'em as I see
'em. If I think EC can do better, then I feel cheated and I'll let
everyone here know. But I back up what I say with examples, so I don't
consider it either ragging or whining, but criticism of someone who
can do better. I also enjoy a good debate, as long as it's civil and
based on substance. Listening to and watching the "Live From Madison
Square Garden" performances give me hope that we can expect a
"working" Eric Clapton on next months' tour with Steve Winwood.

There aren't too many keyboards players who know how to play good
blues piano, but Chris Stainton is one of them. I also like Winwood
and John Mayall as well. All three are among the most empathetic
keyboards players I've heard. There are others whom I cannot recall at
the moment, but while Dave Sancious, Tim Carmon, and Greg Phillinganes
may be good musicians, I prefer Stainton. Why? Well, probably because
these latter three are into more of a Motown-type/Babyface sound, and
play weird-sounding solos that detract from the concert, in my
opinion. But most of all, I do not find them as empathetic players as
the previous three, at least as far as backing up Eric Clapton goes.

DeltaNick