[Slowhand] Whinning discussion

bluespower at cfl.rr.com bluespower at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jun 2 12:08:38 EDT 2009

I have seen EC live many times, the first being in 1970 with the Dominos - I also have several hundred shows on CDR. So my opinion is based on more than just seeing EC live a couple of times. About 1/2 of the times I have seen him he has been "on" and about 1/2 not so much. The shows I have on CDR are about the same way...1/2 on and 1/2 not. Throw into the mix about a 1 in 5 chance of EC being absolutely stellar. Some may argue with my numbers, but I believe they are "in the ballpark." As for his playing, EC always comes to the forefront when playing with other great guitarists. Seems he always wants to duel. Such as with Santana, Buddy Guy and B.B. There are many great back and forth solos with these guys. Now when his band includes another guitarist, it seems EC shares the load quite a bit. He has been doing this since his comeback in the early 70's. It isn't really something new since he has gotten older. Eric has always cherished the role of sideman. When on he is still the best - and he can still hit "that" note that we all look forward to...

JR