[Slowhand] Discussion

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 3 13:41:21 EDT 2009

Keyboardsmen, I am in sync with DeltaN and RickB on this discussion. I also loved Joe Sample's contributions to the band, a very fine musician, during the band's jazz period. No one has mentioned one of my favs - Chuck Leavell who was "just right" for the unplugged tour. Also, Johnnie Johnson, another all-time favorites of mine, played some incredible gigs with the band in the 80s. Of course Billy Preston was superb on the Hammond and arguably a contender for 'most valuable player' on tour in the band. What an incredibly lovable character!  As far as guitarmen go, I have my favs, but I think it's safe to say that we all go to a Clapton concert to hear and see E play like few mortals can. I have to say - there are times when there is nothing like a gaggle of guitarists playing in unison, and I am referring to "Motherless Children," a song that gets me going! It would be truly stirring to hear that song's refrain open a show (and me in the 5th row)...
All that said - Steve Winwood is the best companion I have ever heard with Eric. The two are truly yin & yang complementing one another continuously. Every song. Their guitar styles are sometimes very similar, and one of my favorite examples is the double-lead that they played in "Had to Cry Today." The collaboration is also good for the setlist introducing some welcome diversity. I'll go out on a limb here to say that this duo is greater than the sum of its parts.
Mel :-)