[Slowhand] Chicago show

James Vlahakis jvlahakis at hinshawlaw.com
Thu Jun 18 00:35:35 EDT 2009

Just left the show typing on my blackberry in a cab so this will be short.

Starting backwards, EC did not perform little wing, cocaine or Dear Mr Fantasy. Rather Buddy guy
guested for sweet home chicago and going down. Nice solos by buddy (I'm generally not a fan of his).
He was clearly loving the admiration from the crowd and Ec did not out shine him (Ec clearly held
back a bit).

Voodoo Child was KILLER - jaw dropping hot! He was ferocious and then he played soft a quiet like on
double trouble from the just one night lp.

The crowd loved the acoustic set and I really enjoyed driftin. The guitar sound was crisp, his
finger picking was nice and the crowd did not whistle or yell (my pet peeves). They played same
songs as Ohio - Georgia, driftin, how long, nkywydao, layla and cfmwh. It ran a bit long for me.
Layla should be dropped but the crowd loved it.

Here's my text reaction to first three songs (had to cry, low down and the slow version of after
midnight) that I sent to Sammy - "Ok so far kind of a dial in. Wait he just tore up sleeping in the
ground! Game on!". Yes, it was a killer solo - he played non-stock phrases.

Tough Luck Blues was amazing as Steve proctor said after I called him during the solo. It was nice
to hear Ec sing a different blues tune.

Forever Man was fun - short and to the point.

Glad was great - if I recall he had a solo that made me stand straight up live I got shocked. Not
hair raising but pretty good.

As for After Midnight, Sammy said it best when we emailed after the show regarding the Ohio show "it
was pretty peppy, and played sort of as a cross between the original version and the michelob
commercial....."

Presence of the Lord Was pretty good but I wanted as better solo. Also, I still think the ending
harmonies are "off sync" for the lack of a better word. I know they are doing it on purpose and not
missing each other but I much prefer the EC Was Here version. He can't top that one as He was great
with Yvonne!

Had to Cry Today was ok.

The mix was too muddy to hear Willie but I love abe! heavy drumming was nice touch

The ladies added a nice touch.

I've seen about 3 dozen shows. Overall a pretty good show but not killer (I would love to have seen
the Ohio show). Maybe I'd give this an 8 out of 10?

Buddy was fun to see sober but I missed DMF and LW? I must say WTF to that :)

Do you all agree?

FYI this show was taped - I will let you know if my contact made a good recording and then set up
some trades. Maybe someone can tweak the mix if necessary.

Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP is an Illinois registered limited liability partnership that has elected to be governed by the Illinois Uniform Partnership Act (1997).

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) named in this message. This communication is intended to be and to remain confidential and may be subject to applicable attorney/client and/or work product privileges. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and its attachments. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message and/or any attachments and if you are not the intended recipient, do not disclose the contents or take any action in reliance upon the information contained in this communication or any attachments.