[Slowhand] My updated review of Chicago

James Vlahakis jvlahakis at hinshawlaw.com
Thu Jun 18 12:06:06 EDT 2009

I have just listened to a recording of last night's show. Starting with
Had to Cry Today, I must say that the recording provided me with better
sound than what was at the show. It was a little muddy on the first few
songs. My first updated thought is that EC had a nice aggressive solo.
That said, I don't really like Low Down and I haven't heard anyone rave
about it. What's behind EC's desire to perform this song?

Wow, a pretty aggressive solo on Presence of the Lord, he used some unique
licks on this one for sure.

Nice touch with EC singing the second half of Sleeping in the Ground!

Glad!!!! I'm walking across a bridge across the Chicago river as I type
this and I let out a shudder as I was listening to the middle part of his
solo on Glad, someone gave me a funny look.

Very cool how Glad goes right into Well Alright!

One more shout out to Abe. I really notice how he plays things with a
different, driving beat with some added flourish. While I thought he rode
the cymbals too much at the Hyde Park show, he's a great addition.

As for Willie, the recording gives me a better appreciation for his solid,
soulful (?) groove. Something I always thought Nathan lacked in being too
precise and studio-ready for the lack of a better word.

Lastly, I'd like to see more vocal sharing - for example Winwood duetting
on After Midnight.

After re-listening to the first half of the songs I'm upping my initial
review of an 8 to 8.5 out of 10. Maybe closer to a 9?
Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP is an Illinois registered limited liability partnership that has elected to be governed by the Illinois Uniform Partnership Act (1997).

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) named in this message. This communication is intended to be and to remain confidential and may be subject to applicable attorney/client and/or work product privileges. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and its attachments. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message and/or any attachments and if you are not the intended recipient, do not disclose the contents or take any action in reliance upon the information contained in this communication or any attachments.