[Slowhand] Oakland review - response

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 1 13:22:29 EDT 2009

Harrington's review of the Oakland venue performance appeared in our Contra Costa Times. I responded in a 200-word reply that will appear soon I was told.
Mel

Since music critic Jim Harrington’s review of Monday’s Clapton-Winwood concert demonstrated clearly that he did not attend, here’s my take in 200 words.

This concert was all about the music and not banter and chatter. The band came to play. Its 20-song setlist was never intended to be a greatest-hits parade but rather a carefully crafted mix from both artists’ archives.

Personal highpoints were “Had to Cry,” “VooDoo” and “Fantasy” for their shear power and endurance and the rarely played, acoustic “LowSparks.” First played “Had to Cry” was exceptional for its double-lead guitar solos by Eric and Steve at the song's end - simultaneously played with different, complementary leads. You don't hear that often!

This night’s version of “Driftin” was stirring, as Eric started finger-picking, flesh-to-the-strings, and later materialized a pick continuing in a particularly feisty fashion. Then the song transitioned into a brief, yet, spicy Winwood keyboard part. Nice!

Split Decision sent chills, and Forever Man pinned our ears back! Even the well-worn, acoustic-Layla played by a seated duo picking and strumming in perfect harmony was crisp and fresh, perfectly punctuated by Chris Staiton’s masterful keyboardmanship who also played a "key role" on a particularly animated version of Cocaine.