[Slowhand] EC - Robbie Robertson

Nicholas Aleshin deltanick at comcast.net
Thu Jul 2 00:21:37 EDT 2009

>> nick ... whatever happened to the collabertion EC was working on
with Robbie Robertson[?] <<

wdeli,

I once wrote, "EC forgot about me, so I forgot about him."

That lasted for 20+ years. But EC has recently remembered me, in
spades (I think Winwood reminded him), so I'm hoping he forgot about
Robbie Robertson.

I don't know what happened, but since The Band, I don't remember
Robertson being involved in anything worth remembering, so maybe it's
a good thing. Maybe I missed something, but I figured someone here on
the Slowhand Digest would've mentioned it by now. I'm still waiting.

Now, let's not get upset ... yet.

While with The Band, Robertson was their "John Lennon." He might not
have been the lead singer, but Bob Dylan considered him the lead Hawk.
And Robertson had, perhaps, THE significant role in several of my
favorite albums of all time, such as "The Band, "Music From Big Pink,"
and "Islands."

But in his post-The Band life, it all seems to have gone to
Robertson's head. To me he occupies a position not unlike that of Tom
Petty and Whoopie Goldberg. What I mean is that when these three
individuals open their mouths, they sound like they're speaking a
secret, coded language that only their inner cabal understands. What's
worse than this being excruciatingly rude is that it's a waste of my
time.

But maybe I simply haven't followed Robertson closely enough. I bought
his "Storyville" album about ten years ago and played it exactly once.
If there's anything else worthwhile I've really missed out on, I'd
like to hear about it. But his potential contribution to EC's legacy
-- as EC has hit home run after home run with Steve Winwood -- seems,
at this point, less than promising.

At least we can kind of figure out the gist of what Carlos Santana
means when he speaks.

DeltaNick