[Slowhand] 2 Shows at O2

Kevin Wilson kevinwilson at telkomsa.net
Sun Oct 11 16:24:21 EDT 2009

Glad they've added a second show - in Japan earlier this year, Eric
performed way better on the second night set with JB.

Looking forward to them doing "Compared to What".

The earliest rendition featuring EC can be found on Santana Band with Eric
Clapton: Village Recorder Tapes (Oct 18, 1970) - if you believe that it's
actually EC at the session. All-in-all a dubiously discombobulated
recording:
http://www.geetarz.org/reviews/clapton/village-recorders-tapes.htm

Then from a guest appearance with Doyle Bramhall II (think the band was
called Pacifico) on Aug 10, 2005 EC appears on this number on the "Before
the Music Dies" DVD, playing an ES-335, hammering the hell out of the
guitar. DBII's solo is also not half bad [it being the Slowhand Digest no
other guitarist is that good ;) ], but the song is unfortunately cut.

If I understood the article on the O2 shows correctly, the duet portion of
the show will be longer. Here's a call for a return of "Sunshine of Your
Love". It's been a no-no since the 2005 Cream reunion and deserves a fresh
outing. And just cause it's stood the test of time in my listening pleasure,
it's high-time "Roll It Over" was brought back into a setlist - wah-wah and
all.

Kevin