[Slowhand] Fw: “Blues Breakers: Deluxe Edition”

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Fri Nov 27 12:43:41 EST 2009

From: DeltaNick
Sent: Friday, 27 November 2009 12:32
To: slowhand-request at planet-torque.com
Subject: RE: “Blues Breakers: Deluxe Edition”

>> I know this has been covered in the past but is there any value in getting the deluxe Beano edition. I already have 3 other versions of the album on cd and I have bluesbreaking. Does the deluxe edition have any tracks that would not already be on bluesbreaking, and are they worth purchasing? I also have seen hints online that some of the tracks might not be EC and also that there are other BBC tracks that were not released. Can this be confirmed and what other EC and Bluesbreakers resources are there? Thanks Dave <<

Dave,

Unless you're as into "Beano" and Clapton's tour of duty with John Mayall as I am, it may not be worth getting. For me, it was worth getting "Blues Breakers: Deluxe Edition" because of the notes in the internal booklet, as I learned after purchase (ignore the Deluxe Edition’s external, cover notes). The producer of the Deluxe Edition, Mark Powell, states that the mono mix (don’t forget: horns were added in post production) was completed on 2 April 1966. This proves that the album was recorded before April, in March 1966, notwithstanding Chris Hjort's claim of May 1966 in “Strange Brew,” and Tony Bacon’s similar claim in “MIllion Dollar Les Paul.”

The quality of the CDs is good, but the very best version of "Blues Breakers" is the 1998 European release on the Deram label, and the 2001 Japanese release [mini-LP cover] on the Decca label, which is sonically identical to the 1998 European release. These are both 24-track versions: 12 mono and 12 stereo. The 14-track 2001 American release, produced by Bill Levenson, is inferior.

Does the Deluxe Edition have any tracks that are not on "Bluesbreaking!," and are they worth purchasing? Yes, at least three (recorded 25 October 1965) on which Eric Clapton didn't appear, as he was on hiatus in Greece with the Glands. Are they worth it? Well, if you’ve already got “Bluesbreaking!” you already have the answer.

Are there still unavailable BBC tracks on which Eric Clapton appeared? Yes, but the masters may not exist. However, I'd suggest that you peruse the tracklists on the following three albums for all the legitimate, commercially-available John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers (Featuring Eric Clapton) BBC tracks:

John Mayall With Eric Clapton, “Blues Breakers: Deluxe Edition”; (Decca Records [London] Ltd., a Universal Music company [02498 41801], 13 November 2006 2xCD, UK)

John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers, “Live At The BBC” (Decca Records [London] Ltd., a Universal Music company [602498 446652], 29 January 2007 CD, UK)

John Mayall, “Essentially John Mayall” (Eagle Records, a division of Eagle Rock Entertainment [EAGBX340; GAS 0000340 EAG; 034504 134027], 6 November 2006 5xCD, EU; 5 December 5xCD US)

DeltaNick