[Slowhand] Chicago

David Hillman hillman at planet-torque.com
Wed Feb 17 12:37:10 EST 2010

"Drick, Elaine" <elaine.drick at lmco.com> wrote...

> never thought I'd get to do this. I've been a huge Clapton fan for a

> long time and have seen him several times, but nothing like this. I've

> never been to Chicago and have been doing some on-line research on the

> city. Anyone have suggestions of where to stay, what not to miss, etc.?

> Also, if staying "downtown" what is the best transportation to Toyota

> Park? I know I'm early with my request, but I'm going to stay in

> Chicago for a few days and would like to start planning. Thanks for

> your help/suggestions.

In all likelihood, you'll want to stay downtown. If you are interested
in 'cultural' tourism, that will be your best bet. If you want to, say,
golf, then it'd be the worst place to stay.

There is no good public transportation from downtown to Bridgeview,
where Toyota Park is located. Hell, even driving to the Park is a
complete pain ( we used to go to soccer games there somewhere frequently
). And that's with a much smaller crowd than what the Festival will
bring. I think you'll want to pack a lot of patience, and maybe a lunch,
just for getting there. They do run a special bus route from the Park to
a commuter rail station for most events, and I'm assuming that'll be
available.

http://web.mlsnet.com/t100/stadium/bridgeview/public_transportation/

Otherwise your only options are a rental car, or a cab.

Chicago is physically very large, and has at least 1 of everything
except mountains. Describing all the potential entertainment is not
within the scope of the list. Unfortunately, I think all the original
blues clubs are shuttered these days. The Checkerboard was the last one,
but now even it has relocated to Hyde Park. Here's a semi-interesting
piece about the demise of those clubs...

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/305686in.html

Holy cow, I just realized that the Crossroads Festival overlaps with
the Taste of Chicago! You may not want to stay downtown, in that case.
The Taste is one of the biggest festivals in the country, and they close a
bunch of streets in the South Loop area for a week. Traffic is a
nightmare, even moreso than usual. If you are in-town, though, go.
Weekday afternoons are the best time, unless you enjoy being closer than
elbow-to-elbow with a million sweaty people covered in BBQ.

http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/things_see_do/event_landing/special_events/mose/taste_of_chicago.html

Have fun.

--
David Hillman