[Slowhand] Truth about popular music

roberte at comcast.net roberte at comcast.net
Wed May 18 10:48:52 EDT 2016

A very entertaining video with more than a ring of truth. It started off as a more of a scientific revelation (more citations on the "research" would have been interesting) but wound up being a rant, albeit clever and amusing. The (rhetorical) question is; would a piece of music even by an established and currently popular artist, with a more complex musicality or poetry, be received well enough to become "chart making popular music"? Enough so that it would factor in and tilt the averages they're using in their research? No doubt there are writers and artists writing more complex material, but this music seldom if ever, makes it's way into the charts. It's not just the strategy of record companies, but also a reflection of the appetites of the listener. And once something 'hits', the record companies will try to duplicate it. But that's nothing new.
I don't think much of this is all that new. I wrote a paper about this in high school (couple decades ago). And BTW, I citied the music of Cream (I believe "White Room") in this paper, comparing to the pop music of the time, which was already getting pretty dopey.
I don't think the listeners of pop music are particularly bothered by the idea that they listen to ultra-produced and marketed nursery rhymes. Despite widespread criticism, they indulge unapologetically. I don't think they feel embarrassed or ashamed that they don't have more sophisticated taste. If they did, they might seek out other music in response. But they seem perfectly content with what they listen to. And arguably, they enjoy it. Reluctantly I admit in their defense, there is fundamentally nothing wrong with that. It's one of the things music is supposed to do. And from what I understand, the previous generations of music audience certainly recoiled in horror in the mid 1950's & 60's when Rock & Roll took over. They'd grown up on some pretty sophisticated songwriting that was "their" popular music. I think there is a psychology that can't be ignored. Every generation wants their own thing. You would just like to think that people would have better palettes for the great music that is out there (from all generations). The only thing any of us can do is expose/introduce great music to people, especially young people, whenever possible.

Today's Topics:

1. The Truth About Popular Music (Nicholas Aleshin)

This should instigate some discussion.

youtu dot be/IP0wuwJBdMI

DeltaNick