[StBernard] Point of View by Ron Chapman

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 20 22:09:25 EDT 2005

The MRGO exists because the the State of Louisiana, the Port of New Orleans
(a State agency), our congressional delegation, the shipping industry, and
certain well-connected business interests WANT IT OPEN. The Corps of
Engineers is only the vehicle they use to keep it open and maintained.
I can't believe that after all the articles that Ed Doody has written, and
all the speeches and presentations both Ed and I have made on this issue,
that Ron Chapman and apparently many others still don't get it. This is
particularly distressing because Ron participated in many of our
presentations.

LISTEN !!!!!!!!!! The MRGO exists only because the Port of New Orleans
serves as it's the local sponsor. Without the Port as the local sponsor the
MRGO would be closed. If the Port and the State and the shipping interests
and our congressional delegation wanted it closed today, it would be closed.
BUT THEY WANT IT OPEN. Not the Corps of Engineers. The Corps only does their
bidding.

As Ed and I have said many times, the State of Louisiana, the Port of New
Orleans and our congressional delegation made the decision a long time ago
to put the shipping interests ahead of the safety of the people of St.
Bernard, Orleans and Plaquemines Parishes. Now we have the result. People
have died, business, homes and lives have been destroyed so the Port can
continue to bring a few ships a month to the Inner Harbor, to do business
which could be done on the Mississippi River instead. Not to mention the
fact that over 40,000 acres of our coastal marshlands have been destroyed
which weakens our defenses against storm surge.

The Corps is just a willing participant, an accomplice, not the responsible
party.

John P. Laguens