[StBernard] News from Parish Web Site

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 21 22:06:55 EDT 2005

September 21, 2005; 9:00 AM CST

Hurricane Rita Update:

As of 7:00 AM CST, hurricane Rita appeared to be heading for the east Texas
coast. At the time of the update Rita had intensified to a category 4
storm.

St. Bernard Parish is predicted to receive tropical storm winds and 4 - 5
inches of rain. This could result in flooding on Paris Road, the only
evacuation route out of the Parish.

As was previously announced, to ensure safety, we have been ordered to
discontinue reentry into the Parish pending the outcome of the hurricane.
We will resume reentry plans as weather conditions permit, possibly Sunday.

Please watch this website, http://www.stbernardparishgovernment.com for
further details. Information will be posted as quickly as possible.

Animal Rescue Shelter:

Considering the health of rescued animals and the safety of the animal
rescue volunteers, the U.S. Army has ordered that the Animal Rescue Shelter
be moved to New Orleans International Airport.

We are attempting to find contact information for the shelter. We will post
same as soon as it is available.

FEMA Update:

Parish officials continue to talk to FEMA officials in order to provide as
much assistance to St. Bernard Parish residents as possible. This effort is
being echoed by St. Bernard's State and Federal legislators.

As previously recommended, residents should continue to contact and register
with FEMA regarding temporary assistance. FEMA may be reached on the web at
http://www.fema.gov or by calling 1 (800) 621-FEMA (3362).

Progress of Rebuilding:

Our subcontractor has cleared most streets of the sludge and mud that was
left by the flooding; and should be completely cleared within the next week.
The next step will be to clear the major debris (cars, downed trees, boats,
etc.).

Limited water service has been restored for some areas of the parish.

Education system officials are continuing to evaluate the condition of
buildings and equipment in hopes of restoring schools as soon as possible.

St. Bernard Parish Government Employees:

All Parish Government employees should contact Kevin Clark at (504) 439-0963
or Donna Nye at (504) 439-0896 to inform us of your status and your
intentions regarding returning to work.

# # #