[StBernard] Statement of Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 22 16:06:57 EDT 2005

Statement of Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
Regarding Congressional Legislation for Restoration of Southeast Louisiana

"Working together with one goal - restoring New Orleans and Louisiana - our
congressional delegation has worked with me to craft a very strong
legislative package that will put southeast Louisiana on the road to
restoration. Teamwork created the legislative package announced today in
Washington by Sens. Landrieu and Vitter. I know that teamwork will restore
New Orleans and the surrounding parishes.

"The challenge we face is large, but not when you compare it to the talent,
energy, experience and dedication of our congressional delegation.

"This is a comprehensive package, one that deals with the immediate needs of
our evacuees, is focused on intermediate rebuilding of homes and business,
and looks to the long-term needs of our economy and environment. This
package includes provisions to provide housing, health care and cash
assistance to evacuees. It will create relief for farmers and fishermen,
large businesses and small businesses. It will pay for cleaning up our
destroyed neighborhoods and will pay for building them up again.

"In his speech last week, President Bush made it clear that Washington will
provide the funds but that state leaders will have the primary role in
planning our own future. Our congressional delegation worked with me and my
administration to craft creative, innovative solutions to solve the
challenges we face rebuilding southeast Louisiana.

"We have one overriding goal in this restoration effort: bringing our people
home. To do that, we will bring back their jobs, rebuild their homes and
restore their communities. This legislation is the first big step on
Louisiana's journey toward that goal."

-30-