[StBernard] Governor Blanco asks President Bush to allow FEMA to pay the base salaries of local police, deputies, and firefighters

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 23 16:37:44 EDT 2005

Governor Blanco asks President Bush to allow FEMA to pay the base salaries
of local police, deputies, and firefighters

September 23, 2005

The Honorable George W. Bush
President of the United States
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. President:

Our efforts to work together in restoring and recovering the physical and
economic well being of the State of Louisiana continues to move along the
path of progress.

Hurricane Katrina has left the parishes of our State in dire need. Although
many of our parishes have been nearly destroyed by this event, and most, if
not all, of their revenue streams have been decimated, they continue to
deliver essential public services to our citizens and communities. Due to
the magnitude of the economic difficulties caused by Hurricane Katrina, the
cost to deliver essential public services, such as payroll for public
service employees, can no longer be maintained. Therefore, I am requesting
that 44 CFR Section 206.228 (a)(4) "Force Account Labor Costs" be amended as
soon as possible to allow reimbursement of the straight and regular-time
salaries of public personnel in order to fund essential public services
delivered by our State, parishes, locals and eligible private non-profits
(PNPs). I am also requesting that this be applied retroactively to the
original date of the federal declaration of emergency.

With Hurricane Rita approaching, we will be in greater need of economic
assistance. Amending this regulation to allow for the payment of these
costs is crucial to the economic survival of our State, parishes, locals and
PNPs. By providing an expedient approach, your action on this request will
enable us to not only meet the essential needs of our citizens, but also
enable the restoration of our economy.

Thank you for your immediate consideration on this urgent matter.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
Governor
State of Louisiana