[StBernard] Statement from Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco on state preparations for Hurricane Rita

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 23 16:45:39 EDT 2005

Statement from Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco on state preparations for
Hurricane Rita

Gov. Kathleen Blanco
Rita/Katrina Briefing
2pm/Sept. 23, 2005

"As every Louisianian does, I regret that Rita is coming our way . But I am
confident in our efforts to prepare for this storm.

"People are heeding our repeated warnings about this storm. Reports from the
affected parishes show that 90 percent or more of the citizens subject to
mandatory evacuations have left.

"Rita remains a dangerous storm. Her winds are strong. The storm surge will
be high.

"We've already seen what the edges of this storm are doing to New Orleans.
Rita is driving waters over or through one of the levees damaged by Katrina.

"While we are prepared for Rita, we still have plenty of personnel and
equipment still in New Orleans to care for any people who need help or
rescue.

"I have been briefed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers within the hour.
They are working on the needed repairs.

"Rebuilding New Orleans means that citizens have to know that they are safe.
To repair New Orleans includes building stronger and higher levees to
protect all of the city's neighborhoods. We have asked the federal
government to make this a top priority.

"As Rita closes in on us, I am thankful to learn that so many people have
already evacuated . but, if you haven't . it's too late to leave. The
weather will be, and in some places is, too severe for you to be on the
highway.

"Get to the highest ground or building possible. Call your local authorities
if you need rescue.

"We are ready on the edge of the storm ready to respond with boats,
helicopters and heavy equipment.

"What we are calling Task Force Rita is now staged on the edge of the storm.

"We have deployed more than 4,000 National Guard troops and their equipment
from Louisiana and other states. They're in Oakdale, Ville Platte, and
Lafayette.

"Task Force Rita's headquarters is in Alexandria and parish emergency
officials from Calcasieu and Cameron will join them. They will all direct
initial rescue and recovery operations from there.

"The Louisiana National Guard has placed communications units ready to
quickly move in the storm zone. These soldiers will ride out the storm and
give us a first-hand view of Rita's wrath and help guide in the first
responders.

"State Police are already on double shifts and have added 111 troopers to
Southwest Louisiana. They are standing by and ready to respond.

"Wildlife and Fisheries has 135 boats and 135 personnel poised on the edge
of the storm zone.
These men and women, veterans of thousands of rescues after Katrina, will be
ready after the worst of Rita passes. More boats are ready, if a second wave
of rescuers is needed.

"Looking at the numbers of people who have left - Cameron Parish estimates
that 98 percent of its residents evacuated - I hope there won't be as many
rescue missions after this storm.

"Let me take a moment away from discussing our preparations for Rita to
focus on the recovery from Katrina.

"We are about to send out some much needed federal relief to towns, parishes
and other local governments . more than 100 million in cash . or checks
actually.
These checks reimburse our cash-strapped local governments for expenses
they've already incurred dealing with Katrina. This is in addition to $218
million in federal aid we have already disbursed.

"Rita's arrival is only adding to the problems that Katrina left behind.
That's why these checks are so important.

"In another effort to help our local governments, today, I asked President
Bush to change the rules and allow FEMA to pay the base salaries of our
police, deputies, firefighters and other government workers.
Now, the rules cover only overtime. But many of our parishes and
municipalities have next to no revenue and can't pay the base salaries of
vital workers.

"My request would allow these folks to be paid.

"On the housing front, I have asked Admiral Allen and FEMA to implement a
clear plan for our citizens to move out of shelters -- or the houses of
in-laws or friends - and into hotels and homes here in Louisiana.

"I support the President's goal of moving everyone out of shelters within 30
days.

"I've asked FEMA to secure hotels and motels for our evacuees - places where
we can provide them with complete services: from health care and education
to child care and transportation.

"We have done this with cruise ships . we can do it with hotels and I have
asked them to do this IMMEDIATELY.

"The announcement from HUD and Homeland Security today about rental
assistance and housing vouchers may address the needs of our friends in
Alabama and Mississippi . it does little for Louisiana citizens who want to
come home.

"Katrina decimated our housing stock and what was left in the area has been
bought or rented.
With no housing available, vouchers would do little for our evacuees.
Vouchers don't give our people a way back home to Louisiana.

"So, I have again asked Admiral Allen and FEMA to speed up the purchase of
hotels and motels where we can provide complete services for our evacuees
where we can provide complete services.

"I also asked FEMA to dramatically speed the delivery of trailers for our
transitional communities.

"The path that I have outlined - moving our people from shelters or the
homes of in-laws or friends and into hotels and transitional trailer
communities here in Louisiana - gives our people hope . and a clear path
they can see . a path that will help them get their lives together and get
home to Louisiana."

-30-