[StBernard] Letter from Murphy Oil

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 25 00:24:39 EDT 2005

The Parish Government asked for a letter from Murphy Oil stating whether it
was safe or not for residents to return to the neighborhoods that were
affected by the oil spill. Murphy responded with this letter, listed below.

Since the parish web site is down again, I have posted a copy of the
original PDF file on my web site, available here:
<http://www.da-parish.com/downloads/murphyletter.pdf>

Thanks,
Westley

-----
Center for Toxicology and Environmental Health, L.L.C.
615 W. Markham Street Little Rock, AR 72201 Phone: 501.614.2834 Fax:
501.614.2835 www.cteh.com

Wednesday, September 21, 2005
Murphy Oil USA, Inc.
Meraux Refinery
St Bernard Hwy
Meraux, LA

Gentlemen:

You have asked the Center for Toxicology and Environmental Health, LLC
(CTEH) for an assessment of health risks associated with the presence of
crude oil in the residential area affected by your Hurricane Katrina induced
oil spill. We have not addressed, and express no opinion with regard to,
other potential hazards in the area including mold, structural damage,
rotting biological materials or releases from boats and automobiles.

It is our understanding that the Parish government is contemplating allowing
residents to return to their homes for short periods of time to salvage
personal belongings. Based on the other hazards mentioned above, the
governmental authorities are recommending rubber boots, rubber gloves and
dust masks as personal protective equipment. The presence of petroleum from
the oil spill in some of the homes poses no additional hazard to homeowners
during the scheduled visits and no additional personal protective equipment
is required.

Very Truly Yours,

Glenn C. Millner, PhD.
Partner and Senior Toxicologist