[StBernard] GOVERNOR BLANCO GETS SUPPORT FROM CONGRESSIONAL LEADERS]

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 29 19:20:02 EDT 2005

GOVERNOR BLANCO GETS SUPPORT FROM CONGRESSIONAL LEADERS

Governor to convene meeting of business leaders in Baton Rouge today

Baton Rouge, LA-Today Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, having returned from the nation's Capitol, is optimistic about Congressional support for legislation to support the rebuilding of the economy of South Louisiana. In addition to her testimony to the U.S. Senate Committee on Finance on Wednesday, Governor Blanco held productive meetings with key Congressional leaders urging them to support the legislation.

"I went to Washington to deliver one clear message: Louisiana families need jobs," said Governor Blanco. "To restore our economy, we need a helping hand from our leaders in Washington."

Governor Blanco held private meetings with Senate Republican Leader Bill Frist, Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid, Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, and Representative Bill Thomas, Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee.

"I am encouraged that these congressional leaders understand our plight and want to help us rebuild our economy and create new jobs," she said. "I am optimistic that they will be my partners in the rebirth of Louisiana's economy."

This afternoon Governor Blanco continues her efforts to stimulate the Louisiana economy when she convenes an informal group of South Louisiana business leaders to seek their counsel on the rebirth of the state's economy.

The meeting will take place Thursday, September 29th at 2 p.m. in the Governor's Press Room located on the 4th floor of the Governor's office in the Louisiana State Capitol. Members of the working press are invited to a brief photo opportunity during the first 10 minutes of the meeting.

###