[StBernard] Bad news from Fr. Maestri on unemployment for teachers

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Oct 2 10:34:27 EDT 2005

Wesley,
Unemployment Insurance is complicated for any teacher and more
so for catholic school teachers. Catholic school teachers are not eligible
for regular unemployment Insurance because the Archdiocese is not required
to pay the tax.
However any one unemployed because of the storm and NOT eligible
for regular UI is eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) This
is administered by the La. Dept of Labor not FEMA. One must apply to the
LDOL and be determined ineligible for UI and thus eligible for DUA both
applications can be done in one visit. TO complicate matters if you are
still receiving a salary or severance pay, this is deductable from any UI or
DUA benefits
You can file for both right now but you won't get anything until your
salary and severance pay run out. I would wait until then to file. But you
must file before Nov. 30. 2005.
These are my unofficial opinions for the real information visit your
nearest Job Center or One Stop Shop or what ever they call the unemployment
office in your area. you can also visit www.laworks.net and even file one
line but I would recommend a personal visit. You will need your SS number
and the address of your last employer. DUA may require some evidence or
estimate of your income for the last 18 months. you will also need a mailing
address or a bank account (routing and account numbers) where they can send
you a check. you will not recieve anything quickly.
Again this message is intended to give you a heads up on what to
expect, remember, I am no longer an official representative of the agency.

Rudy Stahl