[StBernard] Bad Photo news - 10/02/05

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Oct 2 22:03:14 EDT 2005

Westley,
I received the email about salvaging photos. Well mine basically have turned
into swirls of ink. Oddly enough, the only ones that were spared were the
ones in albumns with the self adhesive sheets - the kind that are strongly
recommended not to use.

This is the news I wanted to let you know:
When I spoke today, for the first time with my mother's flood ins. adjuster,
I asked how photos are valued. I wondered whether they were figured on the
cost of film and developing, or on reproduction costs, like 20 cents /
print. He told me that photos are considered "collectibles" and that flood
insurance coverage for "collectibles" is capped at $2,500.00. I was shocked
that this is how it is grouped. To make it worse, all jewelry, furs, actual
collectible items, and it seems like anything that would be of real value
are all group as one and you only get $2,500 no matter how much is lost.
Also, would you believe guns are also in that same grouping? When I
mentioned I hadn't noticed this anywhere in my policy, he told me it's in
there somewhere. I know my homeowner's policy states this right on the cover
sheet, but I truly had no idea I was carrying flood insurance to cover my
valuables, when all they count for totally is $2,500. I guess the rest just
has to be claimed as a loss for taxes. I also imagine every single thing in
the house will be depreciated since the items that have been appreciating
don't get covered.

It only gets worse for us. Just think, we all believed seeing our homes
destroyed was the worst that could happen - now let's see how much worse it
could really get. I'm concerned any day now Murphy Oil is going to announce
there's nothing wrong with the land their oil covered. That will be the
final blow.

Thank you, Dean Sergi