[StBernard] Parish President Makes Comments at Gov. Blanco's Press Conference

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Oct 5 00:01:51 EDT 2005

I am at a loss understanding the need to lay off 100 deputies, much less
other government employees and parish school teachers. First, I have
verified with Sen. Vitter's office that the federal government is gong to
foot the bill for rebuilding our schools, so why were the teacher's not
given a reasonable 90 day notice with pay and benefits to give them chance
to relocate and find work?

I assume that the expenses associated with having deputies falls under a
similar arrangement, but if not, why are we going to receive tax statements
this month for the same amounts as last year? Those taxes include monies
for the sheriff's office, schools, etc.

What is the true story behind these staff reductions?