[StBernard] STATEMENT: Governor calls congressional action bittersweet

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 7 23:21:47 EDT 2005

"After asking for weeks that federal officials address the funding crisis
being faced by our local governments, I am able to report that the Congress
voted to provide $750 million of much needed funding through the Community
Disaster Loan Program, money that will help our local governments start
rebuilding their communities.

"It was a bittersweet action, though. The Congress eliminated from the
Stafford Act the loan forgiveness provisions that have been used regularly
by FEMA in the past to address the needs of struggling municipalities.
Louisiana and other gulf coast states have been hit by the worst natural
disaster in recent history and never in the life of this program has
repayment been mandatory. In our time of greatest need, the Congress has
added discriminatory language, singling out the victims of Hurricanes
Katrina and Rita, for unfair treatment. Unfortunately, I do not believe
enough members of Congress fully understand the desperate situation
Louisiana governments face. It simply boggles the mind. It is my hope that
Congress will return from the Columbus Day Recess and work to change this
discriminatory language.

"My sincerest thanks go to Senators Mary Landrieu and David Vitter for their
diligent work on this issue. Neither of them is satisfied with the outcome,
and each had to work an independent strategy in order to get the most for
our communities. Our House delegation was also instrumental in working to
pass this bill on their side of the Capitol and I want to especially thank
Congressmen Richard Baker and Charlie Melancon for their hard work. Our
local governments can borrow the money and that is key to keeping them
afloat.

"Finally, I want to use this opportunity to once again call on President
Bush to use his rulemaking authority to fix something that Congress has
still not addressed-making the base pay of public service employees eligible
for FEMA reimbursement. Some of our local governments simply have no revenue
base to pay regular wages to their law enforcement personnel, firefighters,
emergency medical personnel, 911 operators, etc. Those public servants are
essential to bringing back our communities and must be made eligible for
FEMA reimbursement if we are to rebuild our communities."

Office of the Governor | P.O. Box 94004 | Baton Rouge, LA. 70804-9004